Sunday, October 20, 2019

Sid Ellis 1931 - 2019

Yesterday we received the sad news that another of the clubs Champions from the 1950’s had passed away.  Sid Ellis died aged 87 years in Anniesland, Glasgow.Norrie, Jimmy and Sid Ellis

Sid was part of the popular Ellis brothers who along with Jimmy and Norrie were dedicated distance runners who represented Victoria Park throughout our glory years of the 1950’s.

Sid was in the team that won the Scottish Youths Cross Country Relay Championship in 1949 along with Bobby Calderwood, Alex Breckenridge and W.D. Duncan.

In 1952, he was part of the winning cross country relay team in the Scottish Junior Championships, along with his brother Norrie.

He was also in the 8 man team that won the Edinburgh to Glasgow relay race in 1951 along with his brother Jimmy who was a life member of the club and again in 1956 along with his brother Norrie.

On the seven occasions Victoria Park won the Edinburgh to Glasgow relay race, the Ellis brothers occupied ten places.

I’ve attached a copy of “The Scots Athlete” from 1951 where it shows Sid extending Victoria Park’s lead in leg 7 of the Glasgow to Edinburgh relay race.Sid Ellis with the Lord Provost of Glasgow in 1956

Surely his proudest moment in athletics was running the last leg of the eight in the Edinburgh to Glasgow relay in 1956 in the fastest time of the day, 24m 58s and presenting the baton to the Lord Provost of Glasgow.  The team finished in a time of 3h 47m 40s, 3 minutes ahead of the team from Shettleston.

His son Fraser was last in touch in 2007 and at that time he reported that Sid was still attending our McAndrew Road Relays to support the Club.

The funeral will take place at 2pm on Friday the 18th of October at All Saints Scottish Episcopal Church, 10 Woodend Drive, Jordanhill, Glasgow, G13 1QS.  Thereafter onto Clydebank crematorium for 3:30pm.  Anyone who knew Sid is more than welcome. There’ll be refreshments afterwards at Westpark Hotel, on the Boulevard (just along from the crematorium).

Our sincere condolences go to Ann, Sid’s wife of 62 years, and his extended family.

Sid Ellis crossing the finishing line 1956

Hamish Cameron

27 January 1947 – 6 June 2019

We were saddened to learn through the national media of the death of Hamish Cameron, Mastermind contestant extraordinaire, whose appearance in the final, which was broadcast on 14 June, in accordance with his wishes, a week after his passing.  He appeared on Mastermind on 17 occasions, more than any other contestant in the history of the program.Magnus Magnusson and Hamish Cameron

Hamish, a graduate of Aberdeen University, was a popular member of Victoria Park in the early 1970s, and older members of our distance running fraternity will remember him well.

Colin Youngson, also an Aberdeen University man, included the following words in his tribute at Hamish's funeral:

After graduating in 1971, to begin teaching I moved to Glasgow, joined Victoria Park AAC – and discovered a familiar team-mate – Hamish Cameron, who met his wife-to-be-Edna in that city. Hamish remained calm, clever and usually a man of few words, who raced and trained as hard as possible – he loved the sport. There were club runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the winter though dimly lit streets on twisting traditional routes. Cross-country in the West of Scotland involved deep mud. VPAAC was a very good club, ranked in Scotland’s top four, but Hamish was right on the edge of the first team – indeed in 1972 he ran particularly well in the important McAndrew road relay and, judging by the time he set, should indeed have been one of the first 8 Vicky PaHamish Cameron pictured on rightrk men. In 1974 Hamish appeared in the annual Scottish ranking lists, with a marathon time of 2.43.16, when he was 17th in the Scottish Marathon Championships in Edinburgh.

Hamish later moved to Forres, where he continued his involvement with running as Secretary of the local Harriers and organiser of the North District CC league. He was a very durable veteran athlete, representing Scotland in the home countries meetings and taking part in 137 park runs all over the world until very recently. 

He is survived by his wife Edna and three children, Mairi, Isla and Niall.

Phyllis Williams 1945 - 2018

The news reached us last week that Phyllis Williams had died at home aged 73.  She gave a lifetime of volunteering to sport making a huge contribution to Athletics in Glasgow.  She was a PE teacher and became interested in athletics through the participation of her daughter Sally.  Her husband, David was Treasurer of City Of Glasgow A.C until its merger with Victoria Park in 2007 where he briefly continued in the post.  He had been a competing member of Victoria Park back in the 1960’s.

She was a member of Maryhill Ladies from 1975 – 1986 where she had apparently been a “useful sprinter”, then Glasgow Athletic Club from 1986 - 1990 and then City of Glasgow A.C from 1990 until its merger with Victoria Park in 2007.

She was President of City Of Glasgow A.C from 1990 - 1995 and then Vice President from 1999 - 2001.

She coached the younger members (U13 and below) of GAC and City Of Glasgow A.C from 1986 - 2007.

She team managed athletes competing in the SWAL and UKWAL whilst with City Of Glasgow A.C.

The family had close ties with Glasgow Hawks with her son, Keith, being a member.  Hawks held a minute’s silence in her honour at last week’s game against Watsonians at Balgray.  She was a long term friend of Hugh Barrow (Victoria Parks past president).  Hugh read a eulogy at her funeral on Monday 8th October.

Her enthusiasm and support for athletics will be long remembered by the athletics community in Glasgow.  Our thoughts are with Sally, Keith, brother Hector and the rest of her family at this sad time.

Duncan MacFarlane

One of our life members who was part of the Victoria Park team that won the English AAA’s Cross Country Championships in 1952, Duncan MacFarlane, passed away on the 18th of August this year.  We’ve only now received an obituary which is shown below.  Duncan is shown in the center of the five at the back of the picture.

Duncan MacFarlane

The world was quite a different place 96 years ago when Duncan Macfarlane was born. His parents lived in a small tied cottage on the side of Loch Lomond. They had both served in the First World War, his father as a Lovat Scout at Gallipoli and his mother as a nurse, and this was in 1921, only 3 years later.

They almost lost him to pneumonia when he was small, before the days of antibiotics, but, after a long illness, he somehow survived.

His father moved to a post as driver and gardener for Lord Primrose in Garail House, Dunoon. He and his 2 younger brothers grew up running around the farms and hills, helping with the horses, hay cutting and harvests, working with their father in the gardens.

Then, when he was 15, the school science teacher brought in a cine projector and showed the boys a film of Jack Lovelock racing clear of the pack to win the 1500m in the 1936 Olympics. Young Duncan was transfixed, he'd never seen anything like it.

A passion was born. He loved racing, joining Athletics clubs at school and university and fitting in as much cross country and track racing as he could. Later he joined the Victoria Park Harriers, training with them twice a week and racing most weekends. Athletics was a huge sport in those days, with clubs in every wee town putting on race meets and young athletes travelling all over the country to compete, mostly by public transport. The prizes were often put up by local businesses, which sometimes led to interesting challenges like trying to get the first prize chest of drawers or armchair home on the bus!

He was a good enough runner to win several trophies and prizes, individually in Open Mile and Two Mile races, and also as part of teams which included the great Scottish athlete Andy Forbes, who was like the Calum Hawkins of the day, an inspiring local athlete who could take on the best in the world. Duncan loved to run as part of a team, whether it was the 4x1 mile relays on the track, the longer road relays (Edinburgh to Glasgow, Dundee Kingsway and London to Brighton for example) or cross country races where every single place you gained might make the difference that got your team onto on the podium. There was nothing like the present day tradition of 10k and half marathon road races every weekend and outside of the Cross Country season most racing opportunities were on tracks. He was generally considered a ‘miler’ but actually preferred running further and felt the longer distances of cross country (often 9 miles) and the legs in road relay races suited his strengths better.

So many athletes would gather for competitions that there was little space to change or warm up - the milers used to enter half mile races, not to compete but to get a warm up before their own races which were run later. It made for an exhausting day if they got caught up in the moment and ran well enough in the heats to get a place in the half mile final by accident!

Duncan was exempted from call-up in WW2, being in an ‘essential occupation’ in the Blood Transfusion Authority, but always thought he should have been allowed to go. He already had his train ticket to travel but it was cancelled at the last minute and he instead joined the home guard.  In later years he told stories of their Dad's Army style exploits, running around shooting at paper targets of German invaders in the woods, manning the Home Guard Hut in teams 24hrs a day, and being issued with a strict 4 bullets each for their rifles. He said there was also a Sten Gun in the Hut, but they had no bullets for that!

One of his favourite races was the Edinburgh to Glasgow Relay Race, and he ran 3 times  for Victoria Park A.A.C. on different legs of this in successive years. A very proud memory was running 3rd leg in the VP team who won the race, with a new course record time, in 1950. But the feat actually that got his name (as ‘Dunkie McFarlane’), into Scottish distance running history was being a ‘counter’ in the Victoria Park A.A.C. team who famously won the ENGLISH Club Cross Country championships in 1952.

He perhaps missed his best years of Cross Country when national competitions were suspended during the war, but, starting in the 1946/47 season, went on to compete in no less than 18 successive years in the Scottish Cross Country Championships at Hamilton Race Course. One memorable cross country race he recalled, there was a really hard winter (1951?) and the frost hadn't lifted for 10 weeks. The day of the race the snow was lying 18 inches deep, with the frozen ground like iron underneath it. Fortunately for the senior runners, their race was last and a narrow path through the snow had been beaten by the feet of the earlier racers. Even so, the going was so brutal that Duncan lost a toenail…his feet were so cold that he didn't realise until after the race when he took off his running shoes and saw the blood! They were made of sterner stuff in those days, nowadays races are cancelled for a couple of inches of snow!

He was proud to have been working in a public hospital, Ayrshire Central, the day the NHS began, and was a staunch supporter of the NHS and public medicine all his days. It was also there that he met his wife, Shirley, who came to work in the Pharmacy where he was Deputy Chief.

His running travels took him to Ireland where there was no rationing - this was just after the war when there were few luxuries here and he was able to bring back sumptuous gifts like boxes of chocolates to woo his sweetheart. She must have been impressed, because when it became clear he was expecting her to be his wife she didn't complain, despite telling people many times over the years that there never was an actual formal proposal! They went on to celebrate 64 years of marriage and 6 children together.

Before they could marry, Duncan thought he ought to have a ‘Chief Pharmacist’ post, and the post that came up first was in Dumfries. In 1951 he came down to start work, and discovered the pharmacy and surgical stores stacked to the ceiling with giant rolls of gauze and lint. Each hospital in the country had had a wartime ration of surgical supplies and they'd never been cancelled but just kept on arriving and being piled up. His brother came down and the pair of them rolled up their sleeves and spent a week hefting the huge rolls out before he started.

He was involved in setting up and running the Dumfries Amateur Athletics Club and made new running friends in the area, but still retained membership of Victoria Park as his first claim club. He ran in the first ever Brampton to Carlisle road race, and as secretary of the DAAC took a key role in organising the club and local races, as well as continuing to run with a new generation of younger athletes. One former clubmate, now in his 80s, remembers him as being a true gent, and surprisingly fast for an old guy!

Duncan reluctantly gave up competitive running when he was in his 40s, which was considered old for a runner at the time. He stayed involved with sports; curling, bowling and golfing as well as playing amateur football into his 50s. He was always willing to take responsibility and be one of the organisers in all his sports. He also had a sharp mind for detail and, as well as encyclopaedic knowledge of sport history, usually had up to date facts and commentary, getting into passionate debate about most sports with the slightest invitation, especially football, running and golf. A good man to have in your pub quiz team!

Although he played a bit of golf as a child, he only took it up seriously in his 40s when he felt he was too old for the running. Even so, he managed to play a mean game of golf to a handicap of 12 for many years. There was great excitement in the family when Duncan got a mention in the Sunday Post and special putter for getting a hole-in-one. He was still managing to regularly play a few holes well into his 80s and last played on his 90th birthday.

In his professional life he was promoted to Chief Administrative Pharmaceutical Officer for Dumfries and Galloway and was responsible for services across the region - including managing his own wife! - until he retired from the NHS at the age of 64.

He and his wife stayed active as they got older, climbing hills, finding flowers, especially orchids, all over Scotland. Their idea of a fun day out was hiking 10 miles through bogs to find a particular orchid that only flowered for a week every year! For Duncan's 70th birthday, they had a picnic. On top of Criffel, the highest local hill. In the snow!

He was quite envious of the greater opportunities that became available for veteran runners, and wished he had been able to run longer.

He loved the fact that his adult daughters and grand-daughter got into running, relished every muddy detail of each race report, and beamed with pride at every single medal, trophy, or personal best time. In recent years, when walking became increasingly painful and difficult for him, he often said (with a smile) that when he was dreaming he could still run fast enough to feel the wind in his face!

Well into his 90s, even when he was in constant pain, he battled for his mobility, and refused to just lie down. He fought and won several times with serious illness, regaining his sparky curiosity and humour, but losing a little bit more energy each time. He stayed closer to home, not liking old friends to see him diminished.

And he took hard the loss of his wee brother, sister in law and most of his lifelong friends. It's a hard thing to outlive so many people you love.

Duncanwas an immense life force who gave his energy, time and commitment without hesitation, to family, work, sport and community life over his whole, impressively long lifetime. He was true gentleman, a proud father and a loyal friend, loved and respected by everyone who knew him, and never had a bad word to say about anyone.

A good life, well lived. We will miss him.