Code of conduct for staff and volunteers
Victoria Park City Of Glasgow (VP-Glasgow) coaches and volunteers involved in sport for children and young people have a great opportunity to be a positive role model and help build an individual’s confidence.
Staff and volunteers are expected to:
• Ensure the safety of all children by careful supervision, proper pre-planning of coaching sessions, using safe methods at all times.
• Consider the wellbeing and safety of participants before the development of performance.
• Encourage and guide participants to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
• Treat all young people equally and ensure they feel valued. Have no favourites.
• Encourage all children not to discriminate on the grounds of religious beliefs, race, gender, social classes or lack of ability.
• Not allow any rough or dangerous play, bullying, or the use of bad language or inappropriate behaviour.
• Appreciate the efforts of all young people and not over-train the young people.
• Never exert undue influence over performers to obtain personal benefit or reward.
• Be positive, approachable and offer praise to promote the objectives of the club at all times.
• Not let any allegations of abuse of any kind to go unchallenged or unrecorded if appropriate.
• Incidents and accidents to be recorded in the club incident/accident book.
• Parents will be informed.
• Report accidents or incidents of alleged abuse or poor practice to the designated person.
• Administer minor first aid in the presence of others and where required refer more serious incidents to the club "first aider".
• Have access to telephone for immediate contact to emergency services if required.
• Foster team work to ensure the safety of youth members in their care.
• Ensure the rights and responsibilities of youth members are enforced.
• Not abuse members physically, emotionally or sexually.
• Not engage in a sexual relationship with a young person for whom they are responsible.
• Maintain confidentiality about sensitive information.
• Respect and listen to the opinions of young people.
• Take time to explain coaching techniques to ensure they are clearly understood.
• Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants, based on mutual trust and respect.
• Be a role model, displaying consistently high standard of behaviour and appearance (disciplined/committed/time keeping), remember children learn by example.
• Refrain from smoking and consumption of alcohol during club activities or coaching sessions.
• Never condone rule violations, rough play or the use of prohibited substances.
• Not spending excessive amounts of time alone with children excluded in exceptional circumstances.
• Never taking children to their home.
• Not administering First Aid involving the removing of children’s clothing unless in the presence of others.
• Hold appropriate valid qualifications and insurance cover.
• Make the sport/activity fun.
Staff and volunteers have the right to:
• Access on-going training and information on all aspects of leading/managing activities for youths, particularly on Safeguarding.
• Support in the reporting of suspected abuse.
• Access to professional support services.
• Fair and equitable treatment by the governing body/club.
• Be protected from abuse by children/youths, other adult members and parents.
• Not to be left vulnerable when working with children.
Any misdemeanours and general misbehaviour will be dealt with immediately and reported verbally to the designated person. Persistent breach of the code will result in dismissal from the club/sport.
Dismissals can be appealed by the coach/volunteer with final decisions taken by the club committee or referred to the governing body depending on the disciplinary procedures within the sport.
A Grievance Procedure is in place to deal with any complaints about coaches, parents, athletes, officials or committee members. Follow this link for more information.
Fun activity for all levels, on Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturday's for children 5 to 12 years of age.
Click here for more information and online booking.